Monday, April 26, 2010

Creating an Experimental Portfolio






This semester we have had the opportunity to look at genres of photography. First we researched the different genres of photography and for mine I compared images of photographers from the past with photographers from the present. We then had to pick a genre, preferably one that is out of our comfort zone) and then experiment with them. I chose portraiture. Although portraiture isn't out of my comfort zone I chose to do it as I haven't done much of it and most has been studio based to date. I decided to do mine all outside with a shallow depth of field. I looked at a photographer who's work I have followed for about a year, Benoit Paille, and a new photographer to me, Tommy Ga Ken Wan. They both have a unique documentary style to their portraits. Benoit Paille stops strangers in the street and Tommy Ga Ken Wan has a more candid observation style of portraiture. I chose to try Benoit Paille's style as I hope to be a cinematographer and so documentary style portraiture would be closer related to that.

I was home over Easter which is when I shot the above 10 images. They are all of people who are near and dear to me at a few different locations. I am pleased with the result, in particular the image of my Dad (not the close up one).

No comments:

Post a Comment