Thursday, March 4, 2010

Sweden - Reflection

A final blog to sum up my experience in Sweden.

It was amazing. I am so grateful for being picked for the photographer's placement. Before going I was nervous as I knew it would just be myself and 4 guys for a whole 3 weeks. I also thought that the 3 weeks, as I wasn't entirely sure what my time out there would entail, may drag out a bit but it zoomed by far too quickly! Yes I had difficulties at first, the place I was staying was awful and I was missing out on what the guys were doing and really I didn't need to be based at Lugnet University but after that was sorted out I had the best time. The family we stayed with were amazing, they took me in and made me feel at home the second I sat down to the first meal on the first night. I went out there having expectations from our preperation meetings etc that we had before hand but it was nothing like what I expected. I didn't think we would be going up a ski jump, going to snowmobile jumping and having a BBQ in the snow (although that was because of our family). I didn't think I would be going underneath a pool to take pictures!

I have really learned alot of a photography as well. Alot of our college course is limited to being in the studio and as I don't really know the area I've moved to I don't venture out to find locations. This pushed me to learn my way about another new place and as we were there for 3 weeks it felt nice when I knew my way about and felt like I actually lived there as I knew it that well! It was exciting for me to be able to shoot in an all new place. I made a few technical mistakes whilst shooting and unfortunately it was so cold outside that the video camera was playing up so I only have around 2 videos from the whole time out there but it's things like this that make me learn for next time.

Before going out we also had to fill out a self-evaluation so we could measure how this experience has changed us.

The skills/interests that I felt I lacked in were:

Foreign Languages (although I only picked up around 5 words whilst out there)
Good memory


Talking to People
Confidence
Ability to organise

I have definately improved on these. I had to have a good memory and the ability to organise as I had to arrange my time with what the boys were doing and I had to remember to keep my batteries charged, empty my memory cards etc almost every night so that helped. I think I have improved a little bit on confidence and talking to people. With my placement, as I wasn't at the same place everyday I wasn't really there to meet people but I did meet a few people on the boy's placements so that increased my confidence and they would ask about me and what I was doing on my placement so that made me have to talk to people so I got more used to doing that.

Sweden was by far the best 3 weeks of my life. I learned so much, got thrown way out of my comfort zone and met some amazing people. We were well looked after and we always had a point of contact if needed. Nick, Inga and Carina were so great when they knew I was having problems and everything was dealt with quickly if we needed anything. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience and can already see myself going back in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment